Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people living in aged care in regional, rural and remote communities will benefit from more than $3.7 million in one-off grants.
The grants, in response to funding applications, are provided to aged care services across New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Queensland, Western Australia and the Northern Territory.
Minister for Aged Care and Minister for Indigenous Health Ken Wyatt said the grants, under the Australian Government’s National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flexible Aged Care Program (NATSIFACP), were in addition to the $33.5 million the program provides annually for service delivery.
“The National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Flexible Aged Care Program is designed specifically to improve services to elderly indigenous people, mainly in remote locations,” Minister Wyatt said.
“These grants will provide practical assistance to 18 aged care providers to improve the lives of their elderly care residents.
“They will ensure that buildings are appropriate for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural activities, customs, ceremonies and family visits.”
The grants also give providers an opportunity to refurbish or upgrade living spaces for clients or staff, buy a range of necessary equipment for kitchens or laundries, and to fulfil medical or security requirements.
“The Government’s reform vision is to deliver integrated aged care services not only to major centres, but also to small regional and remote communities,” Minister Wyatt said.
“We want aged care that is flexible, non-discriminatory and culturally appropriate, no matter where people live, and inclusive of elderly Indigenous Australians who are among our most vulnerable citizens.”
Recipients of NATSIFACP funding include:
- Wami Kata Old Folks Home Inc. Port Augusta
- Ceduna Koonibba Aboriginal Health Service (Aboriginal Corporation)
- Ngaanyatjarra Health Service (Aboriginal Corporation)
- Pintupi Homelands 2016-17
- Calvary Community Care, Bathurst Island
- Palm Island Aboriginal Council
- Injilinji Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Corp for Children & Youth Aboriginal Community Elders Service Inc. Brunswick
- Uniting Church Homes Guwardi Ngadu Frail Aged Hostel Fitzroy Crossing Mabuji Aboriginal Resource Aboriginal Corporation Borroloola
- Tullawon Health Service Inc Yalata.
Login to post comments