WA Seniors and Volunteering Minister Tony Simpson has praised the outstanding contribution of seniors while calling for nominations for the 2014 WA Seniors Awards.
Speaking on the bowling green at a housing community for older people in Bentley, Mr Simpson said seniors were often the unsung heroes of local communities.
“We all know a remarkable senior - let’s nominate him or her for these awards,” Mr Simpson said.
“Whatever they contribute to, many seniors are volunteers who work tirelessly and expect little in return. This is our opportunity to recognise them.”
The Minister also encouraged local governments and community groups to get involved in WA Seniors Week (which runs from 9 to 15 November) by applying for a Seniors Week Community Grant of up to $1,000 (or $3,000 for larger events) via www.cotawa.org.au
by 15 August 2014.
Over the past three decades, the Seniors Awards have acknowledged the contributions of Western Australia’s seniors in a diverse range of areas from women’s health to sport to working with migrants and youth. Finalists will be announced in October, with the awards ceremony on 8 November 8 2014.
The categories in this year’s awards are:
- Juniper 2014 WA Seniors Champion Award - An overall winner aged over 60
- Bendigo Bank Community Senior Award - For outstanding voluntary or unpaid work by a senior serving the community
- Intergenerational Senior Award - For outstanding work with young people under 25
- Age Friendly Communities Local Government Award - For a local government’s commitment to planning or services that support Age Friendly Communities
- Age Friendly Organisation Award - For a community organisation with innovative planning or service response to the identified needs of seniors
- Seniors Advocate Award - Outstanding commitment by a person to improving the quality of life of seniors or retirees and advocating on their behalf
- Deborah Kirwan Media Awards - Recognise WA journalists and press photographers in broadcast, photography and print for a positive portrayal of seniors and ageing.
Find nomination forms at http://www.dlgc.wa.gov.au/waseniorsawards2014